CMEEC BOARD OF DIRECTORS ADOPTS SPECIAL COMMITTEE
RECOMMENDATION TO EXTEND INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION
NORWICH, CT – DECEMBER 6, 2018 – The Board of Directors (The “Board”) of the Connecticut Municipal Energy and Electric Cooperative (“CMEEC”) today voted unanimously to adopt the initial recommendations of the Special Committee charged with oversight of the independent investigation being conducted by an outside law firm. These recommendations, which were made by the Special Committee on December 5, 2018, are:
- Having consulted with the outside counsel on conducting the independent investigation authorized by Resolution 18-11-13 as amended, the Special Committee believes that for there to be a full and thorough review by the outside counsel and by this Special Committee, the independent investigation will require more than thirty (30) days to complete.
- The circumstances surrounding the decision to place Mr. Rankin and Mr. Pryor on unpaid administrative leave have not changed as the results of the independent investigation have not yet been provided to the Special Committee.
- As the Special Committee expects and intends to meet on January 23, 2019 and further expects and intends that its findings and recommendations in connection with the independent investigation will be delivered to the CMEEC Board of Directors as promptly as possible thereafter; Drew Rankin and Ed Pryor’s Administrative Leave without pay should therefore be extended until the independent investigation has been completed, the Special Committee makes its findings and recommendations, and the CMEEC Board of Directors has acted with respect thereto.
Interim CEO Mike Lane commented, “The Board’s advancement of the Special Committee’s recommendations is an important step to enable a thorough, independent review process. We are taking this matter extremely seriously and look forward to considering the Special Committee’s findings and recommendations at the conclusion of the investigation.”
About the Special Committee
Created by CMEEC’s full Board of Directors on November 20, 2018, the Special Committee is charged with overseeing the independent investigation, reviewing the findings, making recommendations to the full Board regarding any actions it thinks would be appropriate to take, and addressing any related developments. It is comprised of members who were not part of and did not have specific responsibility for the activities under review, including:
- Debora Goldstein (Chair) – Commissioner, Norwalk Third Taxing District
- Mark Oefinger – Municipal Representative, City of Groton
- Stewart Peil – Vice Chairman, Norwich Utilities Commission
- Richard Tanger – Commissioner, Bozrah Light & Power
- Paul Yatcko – General Manager, South Norwalk Electric and Water