The City of Groton, Connecticut is seeking candidates for the Director of Utilities with successful experience and excellent skills as a leader in the electric and water utilities industry.
Position Title: Director of Utilities
Department: Utilities – Administration
Reports to: Mayor
FLSA Status: Exempt
Approved By: Mayor and Council
Approval Date: December 12, 2013
The Director of Utilities is responsible for the efficient management and operations of the City of Groton Utilities Electric and Water Divisions, the Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) facilities, and Bozrah Light and Power Company. Plans and directs all aspects of the organization’s policies, objectives and initiatives. The Director of Utilities is responsible for the short and long term profitability and growth of the companies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the Director for the Department of Utilities.
- Creates and communicates a vision for the future of the business. Plans, develops and implements broad utility strategy, policies and objectives.
- May serve as a Director of the Connecticut Municipal Electric Energy Cooperative (CMEEC).
- Develops and implements strategic planning for the companies to provide direction for the next five to ten years and ensures preparation and presentation of an annual updated strategic plan for Utilities Commission and Mayor and Council review and adoption.
- Responsible for the development and results of annual operating and capital budgets for all companies and subsidiaries. Initiates long-range financial forecast for industry related markets. Directs the preparation of capital funds requirements for Utilities and WPCA and coordinates securing necessary capital. Makes required presentations to the bond rating agencies. Makes recommendations to the Utility Commission and Mayor and Council for approval.
- Establishes a culture and work environment that promotes and inspires an active, continuous improvement philosophy in regard to products and services.
- Defines measurable goals for Utilities employees that develop and enhance processes, systems and practices and provide the means and resources needed to accomplish the goals. Reviews rate, load and other systems studies and takes appropriate action to ensure the financial stability of all companies.
- Reviews and approves various operating and maintenance plans and procedures; monitors and controls their implementation within approved policies and standards. Recommends major contract awards for construction and services by outside contractors and consultants for Utilities Commission and Mayor and Council approval.
- Promotes companies and their activities by means of building and sustaining relationships with customers, suppliers, and organizations important to the companies and their potential growth. Represents the companies in public and community functions and/or projects, and serves on community Boards as required to promote the image and public perception of the companies.
- Maintains the competitive position of the businesses and balances it with equitable distribution of resources to employees and stakeholders. Seeks new business opportunities and fosters relationhips to this end.
- Monitors marketplace trends and changes so that the company may remain able to respond to any challenge that may be presented.
- Monitors compliance to personnel policies and oversees the currency of such policies.
- Performs all other duties as required and duly authorized by the Utilities Commissions and the Mayor and City Council.
- Provides leadership and direction to all companies. Manages subordinate General Managers who supervise the Utilities Department and employees.
- Ensures that the Department of Utilities personnel and related companies are properly organized, staffed, trained and developed.
- Monitors the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the Utilities Department and related companies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Interviews, hires and trains employees; plans, assigns and directs work; conducts performance appraisals; rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum level of knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, finance, marketing, economics, business or related disciplines. Minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years of utility management experience with progressive managerial responsibility. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies and the general public.
Ability to communicate effectively before large groups of customers, the public, and employees and electors. Ability to write clear and concise documentation for internal and external use. REASONING ABILITY Ability to read and interpret financial statements, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures manuals.
The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen and/or hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to operate office equipment and reach with hands and arms. This employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee will be inside an office environment with normal noise level. Employee will occasionally travel to other sites to meet with customers.
Qualified applicants should email a resume and a letter of qualifications to Steve Dowdy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: March 27, 2015.