A Brief History of Norwich Public Utilities
Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) has a long and proud tradition, with predecessor organizations that date back into the 1850s with the incorporation of the Norwich Gas & Light Company (1854) and the Norwich Water Company (1866).
In 1904, the City of Norwich acquired the Norwich Gas & Electric Company and established a Board of Commissioners to oversee its operations.
In 1951, the Norwich Gas & Electric Company merged with the Norwich Water Company to form the City of Norwich Department of Public Utilities. And in 1971, the City’s Sewer Department come under the control of NPU, and the Sewer Authority was formed.
Today, NPU is a four-service utility providing natural gas, electric, water and wastewater services for a city of nearly 40,000 and a few small surrounding towns.
NPU has an annual budget of more than $100 million and 146 employees that are dedicated to meeting the needs of our customers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
As part of the Charter of the City of Norwich, NPU returns 10% of its gross revenues from natural gas, electric and water operations to the City; this amount was $8.86 in 2019 and totals nearly $82 million over the past ten years.
NPU is among just 118 of the nation’s more than 2,000 public power utilities to have earned the Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3) designation from the American Public Power Association (APPA) for providing reliable and safe electric service.